Barn Conversion Architect Services
Disused and often neglected, old barns present a great opportunity for sustainable re-use and renewal. The unique character of each barn is a great starting point that we’d exploit and celebrate as part of the design process.
From a planning perspective, the building mass is already there so that the main hurdle is in establishing the principle of use. Typically situated in rural areas, consideration should be given to the ecological impact of the conversion and planning applications will often require an ecology report in support of the proposed conversion.
- Architectural feasibility studies.
- Design and visualisation for extensions in all forms including single storey, two storey, roof and basement.
- Preparing, submitting and managing planning applications.
- Interior design and visualisation.
- Project management.
- Detailed/technical design.
- Contract administration.
- Advice on additional consultants as and when required to support project, such as Structural Engineers, Mechanical & Electrical Consultants, Approved Inspectors etc.
- Advice on estimated budgets and project timescales.
- Advice on environmental improvements.
Plan Your Home
your project from start to finish;
monitoring the budget, handling
planning permission and liaising with
What is planning permission?
In the UK, planning permission is the formal permission from a local authority for the alteration or erection of buildings. It can be granted, based on certain conditions being met, or refused.
It is your responsibility for establishing whether or not planning permission is required and submitting an application where relevant. Read our guide here to help you decide whether or not planning permission is required.
How much does it cost to get planning permission?
Do I need a planning consultant?
However, in certain circumstances we may recommend the appointment of a planning consultant and we can advise on a number of suitable partners with whom we regularly collaborate.
Is it possible to make changes after receiving planning permission?
- Non material Amendment (only applies to planning permission, not listed building consent)
- Amending the conditions attached to a permission including seeking minor material amendments
Can I apply for planning permission myself?
Make sure to:
- Carefully read your local authority’s validation requirements that will provide guidance on the minimum requirements for information and the presentation of that information.
- Review your local authority’s design guides for householder alterations and conservation area appraisals/ design guidelines if you are in a Conservation Area.
- It’s also worth reviewing recent planning approvals and refusals in your local area (via the online planning register) to build up a picture of precedent.
Can I start building without planning permission?
Whilst certain extensions and alterations will fall under permitted development rights, we would advise that a Certificate of Lawful Development or Use is sought before any works start on site so as to avoid any misunderstandings as to whether the proposal is in fact permitted.
Starting in a hurry without planning permission and/ or discharging planning conditions runs the risk of enforcement action.
Book a free consultation
We’ll listen to your ideas and give you our informed opinion
We’ll tailor a strategy and scope of service to suit your needs
You’ll receive an initial project brief and a clear mapping out of the next steps, together with our fee proposal
Get in touch to start a conversation
Find out if we are the right architecture practice for your project.
“We have been more than happy at each step of the process, with Dan being able to articulate our intentions into the most beautiful design. Thus elevating our original thoughts and expectations”
- Kharmel Cochrane
“Dan achieved the right balance, always on hand, resolving any issues constructively, ensuring the experience was efficient and enjoyable on a challenging project”
- Neil Prosser
“While the construction phase was bumpy at times, MATA remained professional throughout and a genuine ally. We now have a beautiful and highly functional, if rather unconventional, first-floor extension”
- Marc Franks
“The planning permission stage could not have been smoother: it was approved on first review without a single revision to the ambitious design – a testament to the thorough preparation and thought that MATA put into the application.”
- Katherine & Shaun
Let's Create Your Home's Next Chapter
Wondering what comes next?
Fill in the form below with your project details and we'll respond in 1-2 days.